Hi, I'm Dave but you probably already know that. I recently had a rare form of blood cancer called Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia and this blog is here to give everyone who wants to know what they want to know. If you've got any specific questions email me at heylennys@yahoo.com. Have a good day!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi All-

I probably got carried away with the whole "hair today..." thing last time, but it was pretty interesting to me, and a number of people were curious about how all of that would happen. Either that, or they just thought it was funny I was losing all my hair (just kidding, but you've gotta admit there's a certain humorous irony there)

So others have been asking "how's it been going on the medical side?" since I didn't really get into that. I am happy to say that things have been going very well as far as we've been told/observed. I felt pretty darn good right before Week 4 (the second chemo) a couple weeks ago, and the day of the treatment my red blood/hemoglobin level was at 8.7, which Dr. Stan deadpanned was 'terrifyingly high'... at least, for me, haha. The chemo went well, although I dozed off in the middle of it. No issues afterwards- I take all the pills I'm told to and on schedule, which is a new thing for me (especially if you know my attitude towards taking medicine), and Kathy's an old pro now when it comes to the shots. I've had some problems with indigestion, but had that before for years off and on, so I can deal with that.

Week Five's checkup was sort of a nailbiter- would I need another transfusion? Thankfully, my level only dropped to 6.6, which made the nurses nervous, but which Dr. Stan thought was fine, since he knew I could function with those numbers. I definitely noticed more fatigue and a need to pace myself going up the stairs after the chemo; I had gotten used to moving a little quicker again at the higher levels. But it wasn't bad- no dizziness for normal activity.

Last week (6) my levels were improving; 7.7 for the hemoglobin, and 7.8 for my white blood cells, which had started out at 3.0. We also had a return visit to Rush that day, and Dr Stephanie was also pleased with the progress so far. She also had some ideas for the future- more on that later.

So here it is week 7, and I had my third chemo yesterday (Tuesday), two days early due to Thanksgiving. My levels were even better today- 9.4 for the hemoglobin and 1.31 for the white blood cells, new highs for both! Plus, the white blood is almost in the lowest rungs of the 'acceptable' range now! Granted, the chemo will knock everything back now, but I'm definitely on the right track.

I do have to go back for more chemo on Wednesday, however. This is for a new drug called Rituxan which I'll be getting for the first time. They wanted to wait for all of my levels to build up before adding this to the regimen since it gives an extra smackdown to everything. There are also a number of possible side effects for Rituxan, so they want to give the first dose very slowly to make sure I'm good with it. It could take as long as five hours to get through it, or shorter if they think it's going well. The list of possible side effects is, well, scary, but you have that with any of the truth in advertising for drugs these days. If you want to read up on it, check it out on the webmd website.

That should catch you up on my health and satisfy all of you statistical numbers freaks. Maybe I'll start keeping track of that on a nice graph or a pie chart (mmmmm....pie) - it's always good to have pictures when things are going well!

On a more frivolous front, a few brave/loyal/crazy people volunteered to shave their heads for me, and we got that done last weekend. Why did they do this? Solidarity, goofiness, friendship, maybe even... head envy! Who knows? But I'm grateful, and it was nice to see my first non-medical real people in six weeks for awhile. So thanks to Jeremy, Tim, Dad, and Sean for stepping up to a new look! And extra big thanks and hugs to Joyce for shaving everyone for free (and for the cookies)!

Here's some pictures from this small yet grand event:

Now here's some handsome dudes: Jeremy, Tim, Sean, Dave, and Dad Mike

The 'Timmohawk'

(I think he enjoyed this look entirely too much for the 7 minutes he had it- don't be surprised if you see it again)

Dave, Becky (with green extension), and Tim

I'm doing my best Yul Brynner 'King and I' imitation... etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

and The Lennys played/practiced some songs acousticky-style! Longhaired hippie-type Cory declined a shave for now-- he'll be growing is hair for a few more inches and then donating it to Locks of Love so some lucky kids can have his rockstar hair, so he's excused...


I'd also like to take a moment to thank all of YOU once again. I have received so much support via emails, letters, advice, and gifts from so many friends from my church, work, band, and community I can hardly believe it. You are all very thoughtful and Kathy and I both appreciate every one of you. I'm trying to keep up on all of my thank you notes, and while I'm running behind, it's good work and keeps me busy. You know, I've always felt like my life has been pretty good before this little glitch, but the times are such now that I realize how blessed I have been for all of your friendship. I'd like to quote the Iron Horse in saying that "I feel like the luckiest man on the face of the earth" (there ya go, Wayne). Of course, I'm looking forward to a better outcome than Lou, but it doesn't change a thing either way. God is good.

And here we are, the day before Thanksgiving, an officially-sanctioned day to thank God for all of our blessings. I've got a lot to be thankful for this year, and best of all I think I realize it more than ever. Being homebound with family is ok with me, although I'll miss the extended family gathering. Well, at least they'll have a few bald guys there to remind them of me.

So on behalf of Kathy, Chris, Jeremy, and John, I'd like to wish you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving and to thank you all once again. We hope you take some time to recognize the good things you have been blessed with and give thanks for them, and if you have an extra moment, say a prayer and raise a toast for absent friends.

We will!

Dave

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave - hope all is going well and your recovery is on track. Get well and book a gig back at Reno Corsi's in Alsip

Ed Barker

Followers