Hi, I'm Dave but you probably already know that. I recently had a rare form of blood cancer called Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia and this blog is here to give everyone who wants to know what they want to know. If you've got any specific questions email me at heylennys@yahoo.com. Have a good day!

Friday, November 21, 2008

"When I Get, Older, Losing My Hair..."

Hello all-

Well, it's been an eventful couple of weeks since the last update, so here's what's been happening around here...

One thing I really look forward to every year is Halloween. Not that I go out and do anything, but I just like seeing all the kids' costumes and handing out candy. Our neighborhood usually gets a decent amount of trick or treaters- a lot of families with smaller kids early on, then the slacker old kids who sometimes aren't even wearing costumes. Or maybe they are? I sometimes feel like hassling them about it (since I doubt that they'd be prepared to play tricks either), but I don't. Kathy always has plenty of candy for the evening, so nobody goes away emptyhanded.

So with the weather looking so good for Halloween this year, I was especially disappointed that I really shouldn't be at the door coming into contact with all of these people. Kathy came up with the perfect solution, with additional thanks to Jeremy, who was working as the manager of a Halloween store this fall....


I felt sort of ridiculous, and a lot of the kids were a little taken aback when I opened the door, but the parents got a kick out of it and nobody even knew why I was dressed that way, or that the mask and gloves were real. I only did it until it got dark, but it was fun. And we've still got leftover candy...

The next day, I noticed that I was starting to lose some hair. Then later that evening, I discovered that I could actually pull it out by the fistfull. And I did, many times. Remember when Moe or Curly would grab Larry's hair on the 3 Stooges and rip out a chunk? It was like that. It didn't come out in patches though; looking at me, the visual effect was just that it was getting thinner. Quickly.

By Tuesday or Wednesday, most of it was gone. Pulling it out was easier than brushing it, and made less of a mess. And it was something I could do while watching election coverage. For some reason I put most of it in a plastic bag. Don't know what I'm gonna do with that. Any ideas?

Thursday I had another chemo date. Dr. Stan looked somewhat pleased that he now had more hair than I did. At this point I only had strands of that 'crazed-guy-combover' type sticking out here and there. The beard was hanging in better, but thinning out. Once I realized that some of the hair just didn't seem to want to come out, I had Kathy just trim off all the goofy looking stuff.

If you look at the final pictures, you can probably see that I'm not quite at that 'shiny bald' stage yet. I don't know if that'll happen, or if it's just gonna stay fuzzy. Kathy seems to like the new look; she's intrigued by it and just keeps coming over to rub my head and laugh, and calls me 'Babyhead'. I told her not to get used to it; I'm fine with it not being there, but I'm definitely not going to be shaving my head on a regular basis.

Not that it's all that bad. I never really realized how much heat your hair keeps in. I've been wearing hats around the house sometimes, not because I don't want to see myself, but more because I seem to feel any draft or breeze now.

Well, if you made it this far, I'm sure you want to see some pictures! Kathy took a LOT of them, the collecting and cataloging of which has kept me pretty busy for the last week or so. To save some space here and make it sort of interesting, I put together my first slideshow! By the way, the 20 pictures shown are from 11/2 through 11/10.

(WARNING: May Frighten Small Children; Please View With Caution)

Now after watching that, if anyone seriously wants to take a shortcut to join me in this cool new look, it's all happening this Sunday! There's a few brave souls who have volunteered to shave their heads, but the more the merrier, so if you feel like you're ready for a change and are sick of all that tiresome combing, send me an email at heylennys@yahoo.com and I'll let you know where we'll be! It'll be fun, and when was the last time you had a free haircut?

Take care,

Dave

No comments:

Followers